[responsivevoice_button voice=”UK English Female” buttontext=”Listen to Post”]
This type of interview examines the applicant’s past behaviors in order to predict future performance. These questions require specific examples that happened in the past.
You can answer these questions by following the STAR:
- Briefly and specifically describe the Situation
- Discuss your Task
- What Action did you take
- Positive and Result
Q: Describe a time you provided excellent customer service?
(S) In my last job I often had contact with customers. I remember one day when a customer came back complaining about the product he had purchased. He was very angry demanding to have his money returned.
(T) I realized that I had to calm the customer down and try to deal with the situation away from the other customers.
(A) I asked the customer to come into my office, where I allowed him to say what he needed. I listened carefully and then asked him some questions. I soon discovered that the customer had purchased the wrong product model for his needs. O calmly explained this to him and showed him the correct model.
(R) We exchanged the product, the customer apologized for his behavior and he went away happy.
Now, it’s your turn to practice some more questions:
- Describe a situation in your previous employment when you were successful.
- Give me an example of when you provided excellent customer service.
- Tell me about a time when you demonstrated teamwork.
- Discuss an example of your leadership abilities.
- Tell me about a time when you had difficulties, dealing with another staff member.
- Describe a time when you were unsuccessful in meeting a goal.
- Explain to me when you had to meet a major deadline.
- Tell me about a time when you had to do more that your job required.
- Discuss a situation when you increased or improved productivity.
- Tell me about a time when you had a problem in your last job and how you dealt with that problem.